Monday, July 09, 2012

Some recent finds

I was on vacation last week, visiting with family members from out-of-town. My brother and his wife were here (from Georgia), as well as my niece Isabelle (from California). We decided to take a little day trip, and went to a Bucks County State Park called Ringing Rocks. Now, as hard as it might be to believe, it's called Ringing Rocks because there is boulder field full of rocks that ring! You must take your own hammer. This is probably the only place on earth (except at a hardware store) where you will see people walking around with hammers, and you think nothing of it! Going into the boulder field is not for weak legged people. You have to jump from rock to rock, and it takes pretty good balance too! Then you just take your hammer and bang on the rocks. Some ring better than others. It's so cool to pick out a rock about the size of a hippo, and hear it ring like a bell!
There is also a little trail that leads through the woods to a water fall. The water fall was just about dried up - it was just a trickle.
We got back into the car and headed towards the Delaware River, and crossed into New Jersey, at Milford. My husband and I go there from time to time. I somehow convinced my brother to stop, and we had a delicious lunch at the Ship Inn. They brew their own British style beer, and serve British style food. My brother has spent a fair amount of time in the UK, and said the beer was really close to what you would get over there! He liked it a lot! I guess I did a good job "selling" it, because everyone ordered the fish and chips, which is outstanding at the Ship Inn. We all ate it and it was so good!!!

A half block away was an antique shop. I normally do not find anything to buy in antique shops. Not sure why not. I like a bargain, so the prices are usually too high for me. But, I found two things I liked.

The first thing looks to be solid brass and is a door "Push" plate". It's really in great condition, and is very heavy. I'm hoping to possibly use it as a texture plate. It's so detailed and pretty and I love it.


The next bargain was this mini hutch. It was piled high with bobbins of thread, and had lots of dust. I almost didn't buy it. It's made of fairly thin plywood, but the little details on it are nice so I thought, "why not?" Plus, the shop was having a 20% off sale, and he marked it down even more! It's about 16" tall. It will go in my bead room somewhere....I just have to figure out where!

We finished our day driving down the New Jersey side of the river, passing through Frenchtown (another cute town with antique shops, but didn't stop!) and Stockton, finally crossing the river at Lambertville (another cute town with antique shops, but didn't stop again!!) into New Hope, PA (lots of shops, but did not stop).
Then back to my parent's house, for a dip in the pool! Fun day!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day with family and interesting things to do. That park sounds really neat with the singing boulders. Who would have thunk! Great antique finds. The door plate is fascinating. It would make a great texture plate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment!